Thursday, November 29, 2007

What's Up Column: Next Comedy Meh...

There was certainly a lot I couldn't say in the article that I really wanted to.
Reality television is certainly artifice in its lowest form - so why take part?
Honestly, I needed to know a couple of things about my future career choice, and I wanted to meet Joe Flaherty.
Watching the show when it aired was a chore. For a show supposedly about comedy, it was particularily unfunny. As in, not at all. There didn't seem to be much of a process to it - and the clips that were mashed together were pretty yawn inducing.
And Trish Stratus as a host? Ouch.
Also she's actually pretty short. Here's the article:


I took a bold move recently and unfortunately, I can’t say anything about it.
In a somewhat large nutshell (perhaps a walnut), I participated in CBC’s Next Comedy Legend. This is a cough reality show, created in conjunction with the legendary group Second City, where 8 people will vie for our viewing pleasure. The ring these comedic combatants will be grasping for is a contract with Second City’s touring company.
This is certainly a grand prize indeed, but worth going through the ridiculousness of a reality show?
I can’t answer that, not even in my own signature facetious way. You see, when I went down for the audition, I signed a piece of paper filled with a magical amount of legalese.
Which means, I can’t talk about my experience. Which means, and this is the truly sad part, I can’t make fun of it. And by golly, there was a lot to make fun of. Sigh.
So, let’s skirt around the edges, and see what I can discuss about the experience.
In the first place, I had a few reasons to go out and audition. My immediate, was the roster of celebrity judges they have for the show. Or two out of the three anyhow.
My bags were practically packed when I saw that Joe Flaherty would be one of the judges. Needless to say, I have deep fondness for SCTV. Any Canadian comedian worth their salt, would agree with me. Joe Flaherty certainly has his memorable characters (Sammy Maudlin, and anytime he and Eugene Levy were on being my favourites), but he was also instrumental as a writer for the show.
Upping the ante for my impetus to get on the plane was Mick Napier. This fellow has been a director for Second City stage shows, as well as the founder of Chicago’s Annoyance Theatre. He also penned the book “Improvise: Scene from the Inside Out”, which I own and have poured over a few times.
If you have any interest in improvisation, snag yourself a copy. No, it won’t make you a better improviser – that comes from practise, but he makes some great points on the art.
The third judge was Elvira Kurt, umm, she has short hair…
So, I would be presenting three characters in front of these people (and the cameras, producers, crew, etc.), and from that they would be deciding if I would be advancing to the next round.
Once again, delving through the jungle of legal talk on the release form I signed, that’s about all I can say.
I had a lot of wonderful support from family and friends, which really helped an enormous amount in the long run.
The experience was invaluable for the following introspection.
Comedy is not only what I love to do, it is indeed what I want to do.
Being scrutinized by people I respect in the field in which I would like to be an active member of, certainly took some courage on my part. It was gratifying to know that not only did I possess the mettle to go, I realize I have the verve to continue pursuing this career.
Second City’s Next Comedy Legend will be airing sometime this summer on CBC television. Out of the four audition cities, 4 men and 4 women will be cut down to 1 winner. I’m getting cramps from simultaneously keeping my mouth shut and firmly holding my tongue in my cheek.

No comments: