Friday, February 1, 2008

Ice Foggy Bottom

Yeah, it's cold - but how much is there bitching about it, when you clearly choose to live in a place that has a regular tendancy to completely freeze over for a good portion of the year. Trolling Yukon blogs, it's all about the cold - with only a few people noting the obvious - that's what the Yukon does - it gets cold - really cold - something you can count on. Ah well.
I've been avoiding writing these days, taking a nesting sort of attitude. The cold and lack of fiancee will make one sink into geeky pleasures with vivacious abandon. I do get up to go pee though - I have some retstraint.
But I'll have to hit that writing board soon enough. Comedy Night was cancelled due to the chill, so I'll have material for the next one, but we're putting on a sketch comedy night at the Guild on Feb. 23rd. There are some sketches we've done before, that we really could improve on. In a "I know these are funny people, they just got fucked up in the performance" kind of way.
I've been trying to osmose as much as possible, watching sketch comedy shows on DVD and TV. Sometimes the simplest ways are best for sketch - case in point - a British show called "ManStrokeWoman". Almost all of their stuff is great, fresh, but follow a pretty simple pattern. It's some smart stuff.
Sketch comedy is a lot easier to depend on than stand-up. Even the fact of having someone on a stage, "acting" out a character, gives the audience all the set-up they need to wait for something funny. That anticipation will wring laughs out of the simplest of stuff. Not that it's easy - it's just way more dependable than stand-up comedy.
Mike Ellis is on board to do some writing, which is great. He's a very funny guy, and comes at things differently than I do. His sketch "Dutch Oats" has all the hallmarks of being a "classic" - and if I can convince him to perform it again, that would be great.
I just really want to do a show that's way more organized than Guild Comedy Nights in the past. I put my trust in people before, to bring the funny - and a lack of desire to work bit me in the ass. They were successful nights indeed, people had a good time - but man, the professionalism was certifiably absent. I'd like that to change.

And with a theatre, and all it's facilities at our disposal - the tools are there.

No comments: