Thursday, February 28, 2008

Growth Spurt

So new Comedy developments lately.
A small group (4) of us decided to put on a Comedy night at our local community theatre - the Guild Hall - but we decided that it would be pretty sketch centric. We collaborated on pretty much everything in the show, and each had a solo piece to ourselves.
It was a refreshing experience - we all got along really well, and put together a great show - during one of the busiest times in the Yukon. So we only had 20 people in the audience - but they were warm and the laughs were plenty and genuine. Which, in a small town with people who know you in the audience almost all the time - genuine laughter is great.
And now our little community is growing - with some notable folks added to the mix. Logan Larkin is my new hero. The guy has a lot of theatre training and experience, but he's a great comedian. He stole the show with a very simple premise, and turned it into a clowny masterpiece. We also happened to be making fun of the Pivot festival at the same time - so - Wheee!
I can't voutch for how much effort Logan put into his preparedness beforehand, but I think it's pretty minimal. Not that it's a bad thing - he does very well - but he could kick some serious comedy ass in this town - easily. Hopefully he will.
We've had some newcomers to the Coasters Comedy stage as well - Stephen and Brendan have come up twice now to play a few funny tunes (some Flight of the Conchords, Adam Sandler, etc.) and they are eager to be back for more every two weeks - huzzah.
We are in a sorry state for female comics though. I know a few in town how would kill on stage, some already have, but don't show their faces anymore. Which is really too bad - it was a sea of guys out there last night. (Except for one woman - who I pandered to for a small bit - which I appreciated, cause otherwise it would have fallen pretty flat.)
More comedians also helps me flesh out material a little more - as now I'll actually have acts. I try anyhow to make sure I have at least about 45 minutes of stuff to talk about, just in case. We start the Coasters' nights around 9:30 - and I don't finish the show till around 11. That's the goal anyway.
So now instead of blathering, I can take time to refine.
Though a wealth of material will help me in the long run - when I skeddadle outta here in the summer for different climes.

No comments: