Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Florida Part 2

I meant to write some cheeky entries on the latter part of our Florida trip -
But I pictured myself reading this in the future, thinking: "Who freakin' cares..."
So I sat down and thought about the real salient points I would actually like to get across about our stay in Fort Lauderdale for a month.
The thing that really saved the trip was a little hookah bar called: "The Funky Buddha"
I discovered the place while looking for an open mic to do some comedy. Now that I've been doing stand-up for a couple of years, it has become a regular compulsion to make sure I can get in front of a mic on a regular basis. The longer in between stage time, and I actually get squirrely. It's a question all comics ask themselves, when can I next some time? I'd elbow my way into weddings for five minutes and an audience.
So, while were in Florida, my itch was starting to drive me nuts. Then I spotted the ad for this open mic in Boca Raton, only 20 minutes from where we were staying. The fact that it was a hookah bar with over 90 specialty beers was a decent draw as well.
Let's just say it seemed like a natural place to find like-minded people. And by like-minded people...okay, how many hints would you like? Basically - two birds, one stone, alright?
The place was nestled in a strip-mall, flanked by a Deli and Kinko's. And it was in this unlikely place we found our haven.
That first open mic was pretty over-whelming. It wasn't just comedians, but folk musicians, bar rockers, hip-hop artists, beat poets and an old blues icon. This was an amazing pastiche of open mic denizens - all under the Funky Buddha banner.
Hosting this cavalcade was one Richy Lala, a Dr. Bunsen Honeydew look-alike. I've never seen a comic do crowd work like this guy. He's a natural storyteller, able to exactly measure the appropriate amounts of charm and smarm necessary to keep the crowd enthused. The guy was a pro host, plus a great comedian.
There was also Matt Z, of proud Scandinavian descent, who took to the stage like an awkward Viking, but then assaulted the crowd with hilarious material about his apparent disfuctionality. If debasing yourself becomes an artform, this guy will be its Picasso.
We had many adventures with the Buddha gang, turning our trip into something more than just a sightseeing expedition. We made some lasting friends.
An unexpected, yet rewarding surprise.
It reminded me so much of the comedy scene we started in the Yukon. There's a large group of people that know each other, and make sure to tell one another about upcoming gigs. It seemed really supportive, and a lot of fun to be a part of.
We always had ample performance opportunity in the Yukon, let's face it, if you want a stage to put whatever the hell you fancy in front of an audience, it can easily be done. Our show at the Arts Centre proved how easy it can be if someone wants to do the work.
Our pals in Florida have that too, but they also are exactly where they need to be to hit the next level. The leap from amateur to pro certainly is facilitated by having access to larger markets. South Florida, with easy access to Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, and Orlando, seems like a decent logical choice for someone wanting to get into the comedy game.
I don't think Id leave Canada, but when I check out Facebook pictures of our friends at the Funky Buddha, wearing tank tops and shorts in February, I wonder if I might have took that constant hot weather for granted...

No comments: