Thursday, December 11, 2008

It all starts here -

Sorry, I was attempting to be clever.
To kind of expand on my post about cartoons, or more specifically the opening themes for some of my favourites. While Batman: The Animated Series, and Batman Beyond are by far my favourite openings, there are some great ones out there in television land. There are some themes that capture the eye, or have a particular tune that makes you watch the same opening over and over.
I noticed this trend with an obvious winner - The Sopranos -



Even though I would rent episodes on DVD, I never skipped the intro. It sets up the entire show so very well, musically, visually and thematically. Tony's drive from the city, through Jersey to his home shows so much that encapsulates the uniqueness of that show.

Here's another I can't skip - Dexter




Taking a common morning routine and turning into something so creepy and dark is a stroke of brilliance I say.

Recently I caught on to HBO's True Blood, a vampire drama set in modern day Louisiana. Sure the show can have a muddled plotline at times, and the acting a little over the top, but it is unique. Also one great tone setting opening, plus a great tune -



Two cents I needed to get out. Got yer own favourite openings? Drop me a line.

1 comment:

Meandering Michael said...

I love the opening for Cowboy Bebop. It's like a jazzy, sci-fi, cartoon, James Bondish mashup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zDfxZ4NcE

Invader Zim's not bad either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITr5iJZuOxI