Friday, December 14, 2007

The Waiting Room

Fairly recently, I had come to the conclusion that I had wasted a lot of my life.
This was a firm realization, as in this was indeed a true statement, but it also didn't bother me all that much. Regret and guilt and emotions I try to avoid, in continuing to be a more honest, altruistic kind of fellah.
So that's all well and good, and I've been working steadily towards future goals. I still have the regular Coaster's Comedy nights, and I have plans for a couple of shows in the near future.
My big project is a fringe show I'll be touring next summer, hopefully to Winnipeg, Edmonton and Saskatoon. I'm just waiting to hear from the first two.
So while I'm busy working on this, and continually developing more material, I keep on reminding myself that fairly soon, I'll be leaving the Yukon.
I had a great conversation with a friend last summer about living here. We've both been here about ten years, and we've come to the same conclusions.
The Yukon is not unlike a womb. It's a very safe place to be, and there's a freedom here to do practically anything you want to. It's very difficult to fail in any endevour here, but there seems to be cap on how far you can go. This is a very insular place, which lends to the general feeling of safety, but closes off a lot of growth.
Basically, we both realized that we had gotten just about everything we needed from here. It was a particualrily long lesson, but now that we're done learning - it's time to move on. I'm sure there's more I could gain from living here, but not as much as if I went - Outside.
Outside - it's a bizzare term. People use it proudly to show how insulated they are from the rest of Canada. It would make sense if the Yukon were truly a unique place, but it's capital has become frighteningly homogenized.
So now I wait.
This summer will be a chance to explore other areas in Canada, places where Erica (my fiancee, partner,etc.) and I might move to. So at least while I wait, I can build some excitement. And do some fun things here before I go.
This life is all I have, I plan on enjoying it.

No comments: